Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Coasting into Fall

I have spent very little time in my garden the past month.  I think it's some kind of End-of-Summer-Depression.  When I look out over the yard, I feel no excitement over new plants coming up or new buds of flowers to come.  But then when I do get out in the yard and take a stroll, I see that I am so very wrong. 

Right now these plants are still blooming: Sweet Autumn Clematis, Sedum Autumn Joy, Knock Out Rose, Rose Campion, Rudbeckia, Coneflowers, Coral Bells, Daisies, Gaillardia, Coreopsis, Geranium Rozanne and Dianthus.   I obviously still have a lot to be thankful for and enjoy. 

To join the party at Bloomin Tuesday and Fertilizer Friday, here are my fall babies.

We'll start with Ms Sweet Autumn Clematis because she is just fabulous and smells heavenly:







Sedum Autumn Joy:


Knock Out Roses, Rose Campion and Rudbeckia:



Geranium Rozanne:


Coneflower, Coral Bells 'Firefly' and Rose Campion; second pic is the same with Knock Out Rose Radrazz :




I just realized how much I have missed blogging.  It forces me to slow down and really see what I have in my yard to enjoy and be thankful for.  Just like life - we get going so fast, caught up in the mad rush of work, housework, kids schedules, etc. that we forget to take a step back, slow down and truly see what is around us, focus on the present and enjoy it. 

So to finish up, a few overview pics of the overall gardens. 

Here is the corner garden in front of the house:

Overall back yard, a little blurry but it's the only one I took:


Same thing except from the back of the yard:


Garden behind pool fence.... who knew a completely unorganized, unplanned, thrown together garden turn out so pretty:


The back of pool fence, viewed from the deck:


Side pool fence and side yard garden from the deck:


And to end it all, this is where I wish I was right now..... rather than at work, in my cubicle for another 8 hours:

Take care everyone!

14 comments:

Shirley said...

Your garden still looks great! It's true, blogging makes you step back, slow down and focus not to mention appreciate all the beauty of the earth. Have a great day!

Diana LaMarre said...

Wow, Tracy, that Autumn Clematis is a real stunner! You still have a lot of pretty blooms.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Tracy, I have missed you! I used to feel this way around July, but blogging has helped keep me more positive about gardening past things looking very bad.

Your garden really looks great for this time of year, especially the clematis.

Eileen

Lona said...

Hi Tracy. I have missed you too and wondered about you girl. Your clematis is so full and pretty and I am always jarred by how pretty your Rose Companion is. I need to get some seeds or something and start some.
Have a wonderful week.

Jean said...

Tracy, What beautiful color you still have in your gardens. The Autumn Clematis is amazing! I do need to get one! Jean

Unknown said...

Well that's the third Sweet Autumn Clematis I've seen this morning - I'm a thinkin' I need one!
Maybe your depression is more from knowing there won't be anymore swimming in that beautiful pool for a while. ;-) Seriously though I usually go through the same end of summer slump but this year I'm still out buying flowers at good prices and have been so busy racing the clock getting them planted I haven't had a chance to slow down.

Tracy said...

Thanks everyone - and thanks for missing me! :) I guess I need to go buy some more plants to get over this blah-ness. The pool will be closed next week - then I'll really be sad :-( It's cold at night & doesn't get much sun now - the water's a balmy 67 degrees these days. bbrrrrrrrrr

I got lazy and stopped deadheading the Rose Campion, which means I have TONS of seeds that I can collect if anyone wants me to send them any - just let me know. (That also means I'll have a whole lotta seedlings in the spring; that's OK with me) Take care everyone - so great to hear from you!

Jennifer@threedogsinagarden said...

I love the Sweet Autumn Clematis. It is stunning! Your roses and sedum are lovely as well.

Byddi - We didn't come here for the grass... said...

I just love that clematis! I'm hoping to plant some coneflower for the spring - yours look huge! You have a beautiful garden.

Diane at My Cottage Garden said...

You have great fall colour Tracy. I hope you will be doing your blog again. I put a few more pics on mine, but that will probably be it until Spring. Not that much to write about this time of year. Cheers.

Tootsie said...

I remember coming by to see this clematis and I have been thinking of it off and on ever since! I thought I left you a comment on it...but must have been in my own world by then...sorry! I am in awe of how pretty it is...and how it is just shaped so nicely for you!!! Jealous is the only word I can use to describe me right now!
I know it is a past photo...but still! I do hope you will post and flaunt with me again!

Diane at My Cottage Garden said...

Hello Tracy,

Thought I'd pop in to say 'just a few more days until spring'. We've been having some milder temps and some of the snow is going. (Although we had a lot in the last few weeks!)

Looking forward to the exciting time of seeing new buds and shoots coming up through last years leaves!

Diane

Diane at My Cottage Garden said...

Yeah, Tracy! I"m glad you saw my message right away! We had a day in the 40s last week and a lot of the snow is going. One of my shadier gardens is actually showing some soil, which is weird, but I guess the trees shaded it from getting a lot of snow as well. I may start posting soon than I expected. Temps around freezing or a little above for this week.

I'm going to have coffee with my mentor, Rita, this morning!

See you in the garden-blog world soon.

Diane

Diane at My Cottage Garden said...

My crocuses are showing! I made my first post of the season. I hope you will add one soon as well.

Happy gardening!